Comp Off (also known as Compensatory Off) facilitate compensating employees by granting leaves in lieu of working on a holiday or weekly off.
What is a Comp Off?
There are cases when an employee is required to work on a holiday or a weekly off like Saturday or Sunday. In such cases, it is a common practice to grant a leave credit to the employee in exchange of the work done on the holiday or week off. This leave credit can be used by the employee to take a day off on some other working day.
Setup Comp Off approval settings
To enable Comp Offs in Runtime HRMS, we need to configure some settings. Go to Setup > Employee Self Service and look for section named ‘Comp Off Request Approval’ as shown below.
- Disabled: With this selection, comp offs are disabled and employees cannot submit comp off requests.
- Reporting Manager: With this selection, the request for approval of Comp Off will go to requesting employee’s reporting manager. If reporting manager is not defined on requestor’s profile, the request cannot be placed.
- HR Manager: With this selection, the request for approval of Comp Off will go to requesting employee’s HR Manager. If reporting manager is not defined on requestor’s profile, the request cannot be placed.
- Department Head: Under this selection, the request for approval of Comp Off will go the department head of requesting employee’s department. To know more about department heads, go to Setup > General Settings > Department.
- Location Head: Under this selection, the request for approval of Comp Off will go the location head of the requesting employee’s location. To know more about location heads, go to Setup > General Settings > Locations.
Applying for Comp Off on Workman
The employees can apply for comp-off using Workman (employee self-service mobile app), in case they have worked on a week off or a holiday. This request requires approval by the authority as defined in the settings above.
To submit a comp off request, open the hamburger menu and tap on ‘Requests’. Select ‘Comp Off’ icon to open then new request page. Select date, Select ‘Comp Off’ in the Leave Type dropdown, select whether it is a full-day comp off or half-day comp off, enter comments and submit. The approver will get a notification that a new comp off request has been submitted on their app.
Approving Comp Off on Workman
Open the hamburger menu and tap on ‘Team & Approvals’. Select ‘Comp Off’ icon to open pending requests. For every request, you will see ‘Approve’ and ‘Reject’ buttons. Take the action as necessary. Enter your comments and save. The requestor will get a notification about the action taken.
Automatically Granting Comp Off
Runtime HRMS also allows you to automatically grant Comp Off in case an employee has worked on a week off or holiday. To access these settings, go to Setup > Leaves & Attendance > Leave Types. Click on ‘Comp Off Rules’ tab.
If you wish to grant a comp off automatically when an employee is present on Week Off, check the ‘Auto-Grant Comp Off for Week Off Working‘. Similarly, for holidays, check ‘Auto-Grant Comp Off for Holiday Working‘.
Half Day & Full Day Comp Off
There are two settings for granting automatic comp off for week off and holiday working.
Put the minimum number of minutes an employee should be present in office for half-day and full-day comp off.
Let’s understand this with an example.
Setting: Half Day Minutes: 320 and Full Day Minutes: 640
Now, the auto-grant of comp off based on employee’s time in-office will work as follows:
0 to 320 minutes: No comp off will be given
321 to 640 minutes: Half-Day comp off will be given
641 or above minutes: Full-Day comp off will be given
You may refer to these related settings for leaves and attendance management: